The Vattenfall Energy Trading GmbH offers from now on a position as
Working Student to support the Quantitative Analysis department
at our office in Hamburg.
Do you want to learn and apply your Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning (ML) skills?
Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position as a working student to support Quantitative Analysis for our Business Area Markets.
The Analysis department provides forecasts of power prices and in-depth energy market analysis. With this we actively support the business and enable decision making, both in Business Area Markets and for the Vattenfall Group. As a working student in our team you will actively support our analysts in developing quantitative models.
Key responsibilities and duties
- Find and apply Data Science and ML techniques to improve business cases (e.g. renewables production forecasting and demand forecasting through smart meters)
- Contribute to the development of our trading algorithms
- Handle large amounts of static data and real time data
- Investigate best practices regarding applying AI and ML in the energy industry
- Support the team with ad hoc analysis
Requirements and desired skills
- You are studying mathematics, engineering sciences, physics, economics, computer science or a comparable course of studies and are at least in the third semester of your Bachelor's degree or in your Master's degree
- You are a highly motivated to develop and apply your Machine Learning and Neural Network skills
- Enjoy programming
- You have experience with Python (Pandas, sklearn, NumPy, TensorFlow, Keras), SQL, GIT etc. Others are an plus
- Your spoken and written command of English and German is strong
- You have an analytical mindset and a structured way of working
- Pragmatic personality, performance-oriented with ability to prioritize
- Team player, self-motivated, proactive, creative mindset – we love new ideas
We are striving for diversity and inclusion and we therefore welcome applications from all individuals regardless of e.g. age, gender, disability and ethnic background.
Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest generators of electricity and the largest producer of heat. The Vattenfall Group has about 20,000 employees. Vattenfall’s core markets are Sweden, Germany and the Netherlands. The Group also conducts business in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Poland and the UK. The Parent Company, Vattenfall AB, is fully owned by the Swedish state.
Working at Vattenfall means more than 'just' having an interesting job in a result-oriented culture. Here you will be part of a challenging, complex and international work environment.
Business Area (BA) Markets maximises the value of Vattenfall’s portfolio by optimising and dispatching, hedging and sourcing for Vattenfall's assets and sales positions. We offer power purchase agreements to operators of wind or solar parks, optimise 3rd party batteries and enter into origination deals within the B2B segment. We serve as Vattenfall’s single market access to energy commodity markets trading in electricity, emissions, fuels, freight, and renewable certificates. We are responsible for generating profits by taking positions within defined risk mandates and limits. We are active across Europe with around 500 professionals working from Sweden, Germany, The Netherlands, and Denmark.
Within Markets the Business Unit (BU) Trading is the energy trading hub of the Vattenfall Group. BU Trading is responsible for all trading activities around Vattenfall´s asset and customer flows to maximize value creation and improve sourcing costs. It provides all market access services for standard OTC- and exchange-based energy commodities for the Vattenfall Group, which means managing all hedging flows, from generation assets or customers, by market access.
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Working time: 20 hours per week, up to 40 hours per week (full-time) in vacation time
- Minimum duration: 6 months
- Compensation: 12 Euro per hour
Please send us your complete application documents - cover letter, CV and certificates as well as your current matriculation certificate.
For more information about the position, you are welcome to contact the hiring analysts Mr. Simon Barnasch (email: email@example.com) and Mr. Manuel Ehlers (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about the recruitment process, please contact the recruiter Mr. Thomas Macht, phone +4940790221618.
Deadline for application is January 4th, 2019, but we conduct interviews on an ongoing basis. Therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We look forward to your application!